[1/22: Free Seminar] ASSC Special Seminar 2020 “What is Sustainable Soy Raw Material Sourcing?”
ASSC will hold a seminar in Tokyo on Wednesday, 22nd January 2020, entitled “How to source Sustainable Soy in Supply Chain?”

In Japan, soybeans are widely used as an ingredient in processed foods such as tofu, natto, and edible oil, and are also a familiar ingredient used as a raw material for seasonings such as soy sauce and miso. Soy is also contained in animal feed and is an indirectly relevant ingredient in our diet.

Soy is so closely related to the diet of Japanese people, but according to a research by the Ministry of Agriculture, the self-sufficiency rate of soy in Japan is 7% (2016), so the remaining 93% rely on imports. But did you know that countries and regions at the most upstream of soy supply chains may have environmental destruction and human rights abuses?

The World total soybean production has increased 10 times in the last 50 years, and especially Latin America has increased by 123% in the last around 10 years. This rapid expansion of soybean cultivation may mean that vast forests and grasslands have been converted to agricultural land, which has negative impacts on the environment, including reduced biodiversity, deforestation, and degradation of ecosystem services. There have also been cases of forced labour, including Land grabbing related to soybean cultivation and modern slavery on soybean farms.

 

Therefore, at this time, we will have a seminar with Roundtable on Responsible Soy Association (RTRS) from Argentina which has soybean certification standards and have been working to ensure responsible soybean production and to promote the sustainability of the soy supply chain. The RTRS speaker from Argentina will share the global issues and sustainable soy raw material sourcing. If you are in a related company or organization, please come and join us.

1.Time & Date: Wednesday, 22nd January 2020, 10:05-12: 00 (opens at 10:00)

2.Venue: Studio Plus (small hall) at Hibiya Library & Museum as a part of Chiyoda public Library

1-4 Hibiya Park, Chiyoda-ku, 100-0012, Tokyo

3.Speakers:

  • Mr Daniel Kazimierski, Technical Unit Officer at the Roundtable on Responsible Soy Association (RTRS)
  • Mr Takeshi Shimotaya, Executive Director at The Global Alliance for Sustainable Supply Chain(ASSC)

4.Seminar participation fee: free (brunch are available after the seminar)

5.Target company / organization:

(1) Companies that use soy as a raw material to produce soy products.

(Product examples: soy sauce, miso, tofu, soymilk, natto, cooking oil, margarine, soybean oil, additives)

(2) Companies that manufactures animal foods (soybeans in mixed feed)

(Product examples: chicken products, pork products, beef products, other meat products, cultured seafood products, dairy products, egg products)

(3) Other companies producing soy related products (soybean-containing derivatives / soy biodiesel)

(4) Trading companies and other related organizations that import and sell the products above.

6.Application
Please apply for seminar details and application from Peatix here.

https://assc-special-seminar2020-01-rtrs.peatix.com/view

※ If you don’t use application form at Peatix, please contact us at info@g-assc.org.

7.Organizer: The Global Alliance for Sustainable Supply Chain

8.Contact: info@g-assc.org

 

RTRS (Roundtable on Responsible Soy Association):

RTRS is a global multi-stakeholder organization with the objective to promote the growth of production, trade and use of responsible soy. The Association gathers more than 160 international actors of the soy value chain and nearly 8,000 RTRS certified soy producers in Argentina, Brazil, China, India, Paraguay, Uruguay and USA. Its standard has recently been recognized as compliant with the sustainable sourcing code for agricultural products of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games Organizing Committee.